From June 21, 2012, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has checked the evidence of use for preventing non-use of registered marks. A Statement of Use must be submitted with an US trademark application form since March 21, 2017.
A Statement of Use is an oath provided by applicants which declaims that he/she is actually using the trademark in these applied goods and services.
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office launched a clear guideline on the statement of use, evidence of uses must be consistent with exact trademark as originally filed on the goods, or in connection with the services.
(1) the earliest date of first use of your trademark
(2) a specimen of the trademark in connection with the goods or services
- a photograph of the goods
- a container or package
- official website shown the goods with description
- a photograph taken at selling place
- a sign; a brochure about the services
- an advertisement for the services
- a business card or stationery showing the mark in connection with the services
- a photograph showing the mark as used in rendering or advertising the services
- an official website showing the mark in connection with the services
Note: The jpeg specimen must look EXACTLY as it was originally filed for. If the original trademark is a design mark or logo and your specimen has a different font and different pictures, the USPTO will reject the SOU.